THE EVOLUTION OF THE ALFA ROMEO BADGE
THE FUTURE BELONGS TO THOSE WHO HAVE A GREAT HISTORY
A.L.F.A. (Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili) was founded on June 24th, 1910 in Milan, Italy. Two of the traditional symbols of Milan were chosen to make up the badge – the cross of the municipality and the Visconti serpent, which were included on a disc with the lettering ALFA-MILANO printed around the edge. The two were divided by two Savoy-dynasty knots.
In 1915, Nicola Romeo took over A.L.F.A. and the company name became "Alfa Romeo." In 1920, the first vehicle was badged with the new logo, which was modified to read Alfa-Romeo Milano.
A golden laurel crown was added to the badge, symbolizing the victory at the first World Championship.
During the war, the machines that produced the badges installed on the vehicles were destroyed, which lead to the creation of a Spartan single-color (red) version of the badge.
With the proclamation of the republic, the Savoy-dynasty knots were replaced by two wavy lines and the badge restored all of its color.
The Pomigliano d’Arco Alfasud plant opened and the word MILANO was removed along with the wavy lines.
The laurel wreath was removed and the diameter of the logo was increased. The badge’s formal elements and colors were redesigned with the simplification of the serpent and the re-composition of ALFA ROMEO in the Futura typeface.
The new ALFA ROMEO badge is the perfect match between geometry and proportion, measured in every single part. Every element has its specific color, as each one highlights the exclusive positioning of Alfa Romeo expressing a bold and contemporary personality. The pyramidal texture on the background marks the brand character. Two different tones of gray melt together in a three-dimensional contrast of illuminations and shadows.